Tuesday, February 09, 2010

Speed Lives


Marcorus Garrett


A number of readers have posted the highlight video for incoming frosh Marcorus Garrett in the comments section... even though I posted it on the main page a few days ago.

But who can blame them? I've seen a lot of highlight videos over the years, and you learn pretty quickly that you have to take all of them with a grain of salt.

But the Garrett video is really incredible and you can see why there's a lot of excitement surrounding this player.

***MANDATORY DISCLAIMER***

I don't make depth chart prognistications on this site and I don't ever want to be accused of overhyping an existing player, let alone a incoming freshman, but this kid clearly has a lot of speed and ability. The coaches deserve kudos for recruiting him and I won't back down from that statement.

***END MANDATORY DISCLAIMER***


You know what I really like about this kid? I like the fact that his last name is "GARRETT." Perhaps a successful career at CU for this young man will erase all the bugaboos connected to that last name that started when dad Jim and sons Judd and John transferred to, and then away, from Columbia in the 1980's.

Looking at the bigger picture, I find the Lions team forming for 2010, (including the reported incoming class), to be a very strong-looking running group in many ways.

I like our speedy returning QB Sean Brackett, who closed out 2009 with 171 yards rushing in the 28-14 win over Brown.

I like Leon Ivery and Zack Kourouma, returning seniors who both looked good at several points last season and will bring that valuable experience to the table.

I like speedy Nick Gerst, the rising sophomore who impressed so many fans at JV games in 2009.

I like the tough FB Nathan Lenz, another rising senior who never seems to go backwards in a scrum.

I even like the offensive line, despite the fact that only two returning starters survive the graduation wave this May. I feel that way because a lot of underclassmen with super talent were waiting in the wings last season and I believe most of them will be even more capable by September. And we still have anchors Jeff Adams, who won 1st Team All Ivy honors as a SOPHOMORE, and Ian Quirk, who will be a senior and he keeps getting better and better.

I feel so confident about this running game that part of me wants to see the Lions line up in a wishbone formation and dare opposing teams to stop a combo of a speedy QB, speedy tailback, and a hard running fullback or two.

Don't laugh about the wishbone. It sure works for Navy and former Head Coach Ray Tellier used it to perfection a few times in the 1990's.

4 Comments:

At Tue Feb 09, 02:10:00 AM GMT+7, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great blog Jake. If Gross and Fraser come back close to 100% we will have an outstanding defense as well.

 
At Tue Feb 09, 02:48:00 AM GMT+7, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A healthy Fraser and Groth (faster?) in the middle on the DL should be killer next fall. Definitely will limit inside runs and assuming both improve on speed should put some great pressure on the QBs.

I also agree the OL should be still be strong. There are some really talented players that were in a back up roll last year.

 
At Tue Feb 09, 11:25:00 AM GMT+7, Blogger DOC said...

If speed kills, Garrett looks like an assassin.

 
At Tue Feb 09, 08:16:00 PM GMT+7, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jake, I want you to know that I check your blog first thing every morning. It's addictive. Keep up the great work. Now let's begin to figure out if any of these great recruits will actually get on the field next Fall. with a very strong and deep roster, it will be awfully hard for anybody to break into our two deep. And that's a good sign. PS, I saw Fraser at the Yale basketball game, and he looks like he is in terrific shape.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home