Friday, December 18, 2009

Bowl Envy


The Ivy's loss is Temple's gain

Whether you are for or against the prospect of postseason football one day for the Ivies, you can't discount the allure playoffs or bowl games have for high school recruits.

One example is Niyi Adewole, a 6-foot-2, 220-pound linebacker from Upper Darby High, who orally committed to play for Temple this week. Adewole was recruited by Columbia and some other Ivies, but he liked what he saw in the Owls who went from a 1-11 team in 2006 to a 9-3 bowl-bound squad this season.

I've advocated for the playoffs many times on these pages and you're all probably sick of it by now, but I still want to make it happen.

I do look forward to the FCS championship game this weekend between Villanova and Montana. That should be a good game, and I bet the winner could whip Temple too!

Speaking of Temple, Zamel Johnson, a 5-10, 175-pound defensive back from Hofstra, will transfer to the Owls. Still no Hofstra players going Ivy as of yet. The clock is ticking...

3 Comments:

At Fri Dec 18, 04:10:00 AM GMT+7, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seems like a nice young man, but if he really had an offer from Columbia, he should have grabbed it. Golden has done a great job at Temple, but a Columbia degree is much more valuable than a bowl game appearance.

 
At Fri Dec 18, 05:55:00 AM GMT+7, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Call me selfish, but if he isn't coming to Columbia I'd rather see him at Temple than at another Ivy if he's an impact player.

 
At Fri Dec 18, 02:32:00 PM GMT+7, Blogger Jeff G said...

"That should be a good game, and I bet the winner could whip Temple too"

If you did any research, you'd see that Nova did indeed beat us in the first game of the season. Thanks for the condescension, nonetheless.
As far as Anonymous #1, my father is a Temple grad and my mother is a Columbia grad. My parents are both very successful lawyers, but my father is MUCH more successful than my mother. I think Niyi will do fine with his Temple degree, as will I. I'm sure he'll enjoy the significantly higher level football in the FBS too.

Go Owls!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home