Thursday, August 21, 2008

Catching Up With Tad


Outside of a few factual errors, (and I'm guilty of them too sometimes), this article in the Vancouver Sun about Tad Crawford is a good one. Someone just needs to tell them that Ike is a former Columbia president, not an alum, (the guys at West Point tend to get a little sore about these things, and they have guns).

And here's another piece about how a top veteran is teaching Crawford the ropes even though that may mean he'll be replaced very soon.

Speaking of West Point, the program for the 1938 Columbia-Army game at Michie Stadium arrived in my mail yesterday. It is in excellent condition.

Considering Columbia was the road team for the game, the program is chock full of great Lion material including an article written by Lou Little about football rules. There are close-up pictures of just about all the Columbia starters and a long article about the history of athletics at CU written by the Columbia athletic director at the time. Who would include a 3-page piece written by the opposing team's AD in a program?

As is often the case with old publications, the ads are the most telling. The majority of them were for restaurans, inns, and shops in the nearby town of Newburgh, NY. There wasn't a chain or a corporation among them. Now I'm not saying that for editorial purposes, it's just an interesting comment about the changing nature of commerce in this country from a service economy of small proprietors to major corporations.

And the last big thing I noticed was how small these varsity squads were. Both teams suited up about 30-35 guys. That must have been brutal.

The media guides for 1971 and 1983 should get to me next week.

2 Comments:

At Fri Aug 22, 01:00:00 AM GMT+7, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can you attach or PDF the 1938 program?

 
At Fri Aug 22, 02:18:00 AM GMT+7, Blogger Jake said...

I could if I were functionally computer literate. But I could upload some photos I guess.

Why do so many of you insist on not believing that I am an idiot?

Ask anyone on campus, I really am!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home