Thursday, May 31, 2007

Tears in My Eyes


Jose Valentin is close to coming back after an ACL Tear

Columbia Looks for a Little Mets Magic

Everyone in the Columbia program that I've spoken too has been very optimistic about QB Craig Hormann's recovery from an ACL tear. Most seem to believe he'll be ready for the season opener. I have to admit I've been optimistic too, but also a little leery of those predictions.

But then I read about the Mets' Jose Valentin and his expected quick return from an ACL tear.

Now, I realize Valentin has only a partial tear, but I suppose it's possible Hormann was also not the victim of a full-blown tear as well. Of course, I'm not a doctor, but there does seem to be a little more evidence to back up the optimism in Hormann's case. Considering how well he finished the 2006 season, there is certainly good reason to hope Craig be back to start all 10 games in 2007.





Where are the Ivies?

I live just 8 minutes away from Hofstra's Shuart Stadium where this year's New York City vs. Long Island all-star high school football game, known as the Empire Challenge, will be played on June 28th. So, I'm more than a little bummed that only one incoming Ivy freshman is going to be playing, and its Brian Giesecke, a defensive end recruit going to Penn from Chaminade High School in Manhasset. There are a good number of incoming Ivy players from New York City and Long Island, but I guess they either weren't chosen to play or could not make the commitment.


Call for Stories!!!

And I'm still waiting to hear from more of you about your first memories of Columbia football. Tell me about it in the comments section or email me at novak.jake@gmail.com and I'll put it all up in a real post for our own "For Lions Fans Only!" chronicle.

6 Comments:

At Fri Jun 01, 01:55:00 AM GMT+7, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am distressed that Penn recruited out of Chaminade. there is no excuse for Penn to recruit anybody from our backyard.

 
At Fri Jun 01, 04:43:00 AM GMT+7, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Columbia should try to host this game in the future. We have a great stadium located right on Manhattan (the only one that I'm aware of) with a great setting.

Would be a good way to raise awareness of CU amongst potential recruits and their high school teams/fans in great NYC area.

 
At Fri Jun 01, 04:46:00 AM GMT+7, Blogger Jake said...

The game definitely was at Wien Stadium several years ago. I'm not sure if it was a one-time thing or not.

 
At Fri Jun 01, 06:20:00 AM GMT+7, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Craig will be ready for camp come 8/19.. He had a great check-up with the doctor a few weeks ago. He is working and training in NY all summer long.

 
At Fri Jun 01, 12:11:00 PM GMT+7, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You may want to look at the newly-published football roster on the gocolumbialions website--seven newly named incoming freshmen, including Ben Gaston, an outstanding offensive lineman (6'3" 285) from Hanford High School in Richland High School. Incidentally, our Ivy Champion women's soccer team has a standout recruit from the same high school.

 
At Fri Jun 01, 03:19:00 PM GMT+7, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gaston was 2d team all-state class 3A.
In Cinci papers, Derek Lipscomb is listed as LB and at 6-2, 215.

-Dr.V

 

Post a Comment

<< Home