Wednesday, May 23, 2007

On the Agenda...


Get Up Close & Personal with Coach Wilson tonight! (CREDIT: IAA.org)

Some quick updates:

1) Tonight is the first of two get-togethers with Coach Norries Wilson in California. The event tonight is hosted by former Lion player, coach, and current Board of Trustees chair Bill Campbell at the Old Pro in Palo Alto from 6-10pm. The place is at 541 Ramona Palo Alto, CA 94301 and the number is (650) 326-1446.

I think you can still RSVP to Coach Wilson at: cufblions@yahoo.com.

Tomorrow, the Coach heads down to the L.A. area with an event hosted by Lion defensive great Matt Sodl '88. It's at Beaches Restaurant in Manhattan Beach from 6 to 9pm. Beaches is at 117 Manhattan Beach Blvd. Manhattan Beach, CA 90266 and the number is (310) 545-2523.

I can't be there for either event, but if you go tell 'em JAKE NOVAK sent you!



Send in your fan stories (CREDIT: CU250)

2) Some of you have already sent in your "how I became a Columbia football fan" stories and they're great. You can either put them in the comments section or email them to me at novak.jake@gmail.com. BUT, please give me your name, (it can be a nickname or online alias), your current hometown and age so we can add a little flavor to all of this. I want to put all of our stories in the actual body of the site so they're easier to find. I will bump the post up to the top of the blog every time there's an update.


Forget Penn, Watch out for Brown!


3) Check out Brown's just-released list of incoming freshmen players and you'll see the Bears are recruiting heavily in the same parts of the country as Columbia... more than any other Ivy in fact. I don't know why Brown is competing with us so closely for recruits, especially since the schools seem to be so dissimilar. Sure, the non-athlete student bodies are extremely similar, but Providence is so very different from Manhattan. You would think Brown would be gunning for the players looking for more of the pure New England experience that you get in Providence, Hanover, and even Cambridge. But I'm sure there are other factors. I don't know if we lost any potential recruits to the Bears, but we did grab Brian England away from them and he appears to be a big "get."

8 Comments:

At Thu May 24, 02:42:00 AM GMT+7, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The two schools are both very hot right now and both have very classy head coaches. A lot of young people are actually turned off by the whole HYP thing. For those student athletes, columbia and Brown offer much better liberal arts programs than Penn or Cornell, and a lot of people do not want to be in Hanover.

 
At Thu May 24, 02:54:00 AM GMT+7, Blogger Jake said...

The HYP reputation is huge for employers, but I would never go to Harvard as an undergrad if I were accepted at the other two. Undergrads get hosed at Harvard in everything from class size to actual contact with professors. meanwhile Princeton and Yale treat their undergrads a lot better in my opinion

 
At Thu May 24, 04:55:00 AM GMT+7, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a friend who is a shrink who loves Harvard; it generates a significant proportion of his patient base (no kidding).

 
At Thu May 24, 08:52:00 AM GMT+7, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That last comment is priceless, and I have no problem believing it. Nice one.

 
At Thu May 24, 06:59:00 PM GMT+7, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here is the point: Harvard screws up everybody who goes there; and it screws up everybody who wanted to go there. A shrink's happy hunting ground!

 
At Thu May 24, 08:22:00 PM GMT+7, Blogger Jake said...

I'll buy that! I personally would hate the pressure of telling people I went to Harvard and then having them wonder why I wasn't a bigger success.

 
At Thu May 24, 09:56:00 PM GMT+7, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jake, you are a huge success, and if you get the radio gig, your cupwill have runneth over! Keep up the great work!

 
At Thu May 24, 10:01:00 PM GMT+7, Blogger Jake said...

Thanks so much. Well, when I look at my family I definitely feel like a huge success. When I look at what we put on the air at CNN... not so much.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home