Wednesday, May 09, 2007

48 Hours


Not quite as much is at stake, but you get the point


Coach Norries Wilson has announced that our complete incoming freshmen list will be released this Friday... so the long wait will soon be over.

Truth be told, I've known about a number of recruits, (really just 5-6), that I haven't posted about here. I've kept my list to the young men who have either been written about in the newspapers, talked about on their school web sites, or the ones whose parents have emailed me.

Why? Well there are two reasons. First, as you all probably know, I'm still trying to get the color commentator radio gig for Columbia football this coming season and I just don't want to do anything to anger the guys who are still deciding whether to give me the job. They have their reasons for not wanting all the names posted early, and I have to respect that even if I weren't looking for a job.

Second, I think there is a chance that some of these kids could change their minds if predatory folks from within and without the Ivy League see their names on the Columbia list at an early stage. And let's face it, if anything on this site ever turned out hurting the team I think I would put my head in an oven.

The good news is, a couple of the as yet unnamed recruits are super prospects, even in the relative world of recruiting news where every prospect looks like a world-beater. In other words, the wait will be well worth it.

9 Comments:

At Wed May 09, 10:46:00 PM GMT+7, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's good news! Without giving names, can you tell us whether the super prospects include any running backs or wide receivers. Those are the guys we need to keep the crowd excited at Baker Field.

 
At Wed May 09, 11:06:00 PM GMT+7, Blogger Jake said...

One running back and one offensive lineman caught my eye in particular. The running back is especially promising.

 
At Thu May 10, 02:06:00 AM GMT+7, Anonymous Anonymous said...

FYI: Wilson is going to have get-togethers in CA:
May 23rd The Old Pro. 541 Ramona Palo Alto CA, 94301

(650) 3261446

May 24th Beaches restaurant. 117 Manhattan Beach Blvd Manhattan Beach, CA 90266

(310) 545-2523

 
At Thu May 10, 02:10:00 AM GMT+7, Blogger Jake said...

Thanks for the info! I urge all of our West Coast fans to come out and show him your appreciation.

 
At Thu May 10, 02:10:00 AM GMT+7, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Penn list was just posted. Reading between the lines it looks like an undersized and unimpresssive list. Penn is absolutely the worst at unhookking committed committed players, and has been notorious about bad mouthing Columbia. So caution is appropriate. those of you who are not on NW's list of supporters of the program are missing out here.

 
At Thu May 10, 02:18:00 AM GMT+7, Blogger Jake said...

I was surprised the Penn list had no one above 6"4. But losing the RB Bradford Blackmon had me angry for awhile. I'm not sure we ever had a real shot at him. It's no use getting too excited or angry until we see how these guys play in actual games. But the offseason is too darned long not to speculate!

 
At Thu May 10, 03:19:00 AM GMT+7, Blogger dabull said...

I never saw the name Blackmon on the original list of 37 recruits. But of that 37 I don't know if we got all of them in the fold,but I'm about 90 percent sure we did.

 
At Thu May 10, 03:25:00 AM GMT+7, Blogger Jake said...

Dabull:

Sorry, I never meant to imply that Penn stole Blackmon... he had just narrowed it down to us and Penn and we all kind of knew that he was leaning hard towards Penn.

 
At Thu May 10, 05:04:00 AM GMT+7, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I absolutely guarantee that Penn trashed us in recruiting Blackmon. That is the way that Penn recruits. That is part of the scene when NW went off at Penn last Fall. Their assistants were taunting our guys.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home