Friday, September 17, 2010

Week 1 Picks




Week 1 Picks


Last year I went 34-8 in my picks of all the games involving Ivy League teams other than Columbia.

I usually have a similar winning percentage.

But that was easy. I was just picking winners and losers.

This year, I am going to set the bar higher and include the spreads just to make it tougher on myself.

For the record, I will not be supplying the name of the source on the betting lines because I actually really oppose sports betting and I am the one schmuck in America who really does use them “for entertainment purposes only.”

Also, I will continue to not pick Columbia games for obvious reasons.

Okay disclaimers over!


Georgetown at Yale (Yale is favored by 11 ½)

Good for Georgetown for finally pulling off a big upset and shocking Lafayette in Easton last week. But I don’t think the Hoyas can pull it off two weeks in a row… not on the road at least.

However, that 11 ½ point spread is too big in my opinion. I am not high on Yale and will need the Bulldogs to beat someone bigger than Georgetown to change my mind.

So, I am taking Georgetown and the 11 ½ points while I still pick Yale to win the game outright.


Stony Brook at Brown (Brown is favored by 7 ½)

I am very high on Stony Brook this season. This is a team on the rise that just got supercharged with a few transfers from Hofstra after that program discontinued football.

Brown is a big question mark this season with all the graduating stars off the roster. Don’t get me wrong, I still expect the Bears to be a good team and I think the world of Phil Estes.

But 7 ½ point spread is way too generous in my opinion, especially since I think Stony Brook will win the game too.


Princeton at Lehigh (Lehigh is favored by 5 ½ points)

Lehigh is generally on the rise and I think this will be a tough year for the Tigers.

I REALLY don’t like Princeton’s offense line that looks more like a patchwork job than one of my 2nd grade dioramas.

I’m taking Lehigh and giving the 5 ½ points.


Dartmouth at Bucknell (Dartmouth is favored by 4 points)

The Bison just don’t look very good this year, especially on offense.

I know Dartmouth hasn’t won a road game since 2006, but this Bucknell squad is hurting.

One thing I can say: if the Big Green lose this game, it’ll be a disaster for the program that’s promising big improvements this season.

I’ll take Dartmouth and give the four points.


Cornell at Wagner (Cornell is favored by 4 ½ points)

I think this will be a very tough year for the Big Red, but Wagner is just not a program on a par with even the weakest Ivy team.

I am high on the new Cornell coaching staff, so this looks like a lock.

I’ll take the Big Red and give the 4 ½ points.


Holy Cross at Harvard (Harvard is favored by 3 points)

This is NOT the same Crusader team we’ve come to know the last 4-5 years. It’s not a bad squad, but Harvard should not have too much trouble handling them at home.

I’ll take Harvard and give the three points.


Lafayette at Penn (Penn is favored by 11 ½ points)

I know Lafayette is emotionally and physically wounded after its loss to Georgetown last week. But an 11 ½ point spread is an insult to the Leopards, and it must not be making the Penn coaches very happy.

There’s a good chance Lafayette wins this game outright, especially if Keiffer Garton doesn’t play.

But I think the Quakers will win the game in the end… just not by two scores.

Take the Leopards and grab the 11 ½ points, but expect Penn to win.


Towson at Villanova (Villanova favored by 31 points)

Villanova is a truly great team, but I think Towson will do better than Lehigh did last week against the Wildcats in a 35-0 loss.

I say take Towson and grab the 31 points, but Villanova is still a shoo-in to win the actual game.

7 Comments:

At Fri Sep 17, 09:48:00 AM GMT+7, Blogger DOC said...

Thanks for giving us "the line" on the Ivies. As far as Columbia-Fordham
I see a very close contest hinging on whether we can control the defensive line of scrimmage. 3 years ago at Jack Coffey we got pushed around all night and ended up having to play catch-up through the air. Last year we forced Skelton into some bad turnovers after shutting down their run game.He must have thrown for 400+ yds mostly between the twenties.( Thank God Skelton is an Arizona Cardinal now)
I feel we can win this..but..6 points seems like a lot to give,especially since this is our opener but their 3rd game
Any thoughts fellow bloggers?

 
At Fri Sep 17, 05:49:00 PM GMT+7, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am feeling very much the same caution. Fordham has lost one and then dug down to win one against Rhode Island (who are never a patsy). They have important game experience versus our cob webs and I worry if that might put us in an early hole tomorrow from which we cannot recover.

Nevertheless, this is a game we really must win. I see this being decided by less than 3 points.

Chen 82

 
At Fri Sep 17, 10:51:00 PM GMT+7, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that -6/6.5 line is spot on.

 
At Fri Sep 17, 11:05:00 PM GMT+7, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It would help if Fraser plays. We will need to wrap up Martin.

 
At Fri Sep 17, 11:11:00 PM GMT+7, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I developed a "system" many years ago that has gone unused ever since Ivy lines were dropped by the Ace Rothsteins of the world. Coming across this page (looking for news about Ian Hillman and why he's off the roster) I dusted it off last night so here goes:

Yale -4.33
Brown -1.08
Columbia -5.52
Lehigh -11.79
Cornell -7.93
Dartmouth -14.24
Harvard -1.06
Penn -21.75

Bank Check

 
At Sat Sep 18, 01:38:00 AM GMT+7, Blogger cathar said...

So it all begins. I am SO hoping not to be even half-disappointed this season.

Does anyone remember the famous (well, it should be) Irvin Faust story "Roar, Lion, Roar," which was also the title of his first short story collection?

In that one, a Puerto Rican janitor stuck tending the furnaces in the bowels of Low Library literally has a complete nervous breakdown while following the fortunes of the (as best I recall) 1960 Lions. I truly hope I never get as wrapped up in abject fan-ship as that.

But the truth is also that I've come pretty close at times.

 
At Sat Sep 18, 02:57:00 AM GMT+7, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe that poor guy is still there in Low! Let's not let him down! GO LIONS!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home