Saturday, April 03, 2010

High School List, (part one)


Stuyvesant HS: once a key feeder to Columbia football


Live Blog Success!

I liked a lot of what I read during yesterday's live blogging at spring practice. Reading that Alex Gross was out there at least stretching with the rest of the linebackers was certainly a highlight since he had that massive knee injury less than six months ago.

I was also encouraged to see so many people making comments and asking questions. It was a well done "event" by all.


High School Database Project: 1969-1979

I have a few gaps to fill in this first decade's worth of my Herculean effort to list every high school that's fed athletes to Columbia football over the years.

But for 1969-79, I already have about 35 pages of school names and players that are worth listing now because when all the data is in it will be too much to process in any one sitting.

Again, I have to make the disclaimer that I am missing some info for this era, particularly the freshmen roster info for '69, '71 (I have the names and hometowns for this year, but no high school names), '72 and '73. I will make the additions when that info comes in. ANY mistakes or omissions that any reader notices are not intentional and I would appreciate anyone letting me know what I'm missing. You can weigh in on the comments section or email me at jakesjokes@gmail.com

The years below were the Frank Navarro-Bill Campbell seasons for Columbia football. So the number of players from Ohio, Pennsylvania and New York is huge compared to the current era.

(To see the UPDATED list from 1969-1999 click here)

5 Comments:

At Sat Apr 03, 03:16:00 AM GMT+7, Blogger dabull said...

That's a big project Jake. Does your wife think you're nuts? Oh that's a dumb question, they all think we're nuts in some way.

 
At Sat Apr 03, 09:14:00 AM GMT+7, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jake, you deserve a medal of some kind for this huge undertaking. I have to think that when all is said and done the list will be particularly helpful to the Columbia Football Coaches in certain situations when they might be recruiting players at schools that sent players to Columbia in the past.

 
At Sat Apr 03, 05:47:00 PM GMT+7, Anonymous 4th N Ten said...

Jake, I notice a lot of enrollment out of parochial and private schools in the upper N.Y. and Connecticutt areas. Do you think this speaks more to the quality of those football programs or the ability to afford an Ivy League education?
4th N Ten

 
At Sat Apr 03, 06:38:00 PM GMT+7, Blogger Jake said...

Dabull:

I just take it one year at a time, and it does get easier as I go along because the most time consuming aspect of this is looking up the high school to make sure it still exists, th exact location, and whether it's name has changed. Once the list of high schools grows, the likelihood that a new player came from one of them grows too.

4th and Ten:

I think a big reason why s many parochial and private schools are represented before the 1980's is because recruiting in all 50 states was just not as possible as it is now. Also, (and this is true even today), the kids from the great Catholic schools and prep schools are just more likely to be able to handle the academics and the athletics.

 
At Tue Apr 06, 08:09:00 PM GMT+7, Blogger I remain, very truly yours, Richard Szathmary said...

Queen of Peace is not in Lyndhurst, NJ, but, rather, in North Arlington.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home