Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Miller Back on Tap


Bob Kent's experience proved ejections can lead to good lessons learned

Lou Miller's personal foul has been ruled not flagrant enough for any further league punishment. So he should be available for all of Saturday's game at Harvard.

Miller's ejection reminded me of a story Bob Kent '92 told me about his junior year when he was ejected from a game at Penn. This is the key segment from my 2007 interview with Bob:

... "the Penn game my junior year was a personal low for me. I remember being very excited about that game because I was going to play against (future NFL All-Pro center with the Kansas City Chiefs), Joe Valerio, one of the league’s best offensive linemen. During the first half of the game, I did a great job against Valerio, (at least that‘s how I remember it). However, in the second half I committed an extremely flagrant personal foul and was ejected from the game. This game served as a turning point in my career. Prior to this game, I had a history of committing personal fouls. However, this incident, along with some much needed mentoring from Coach White, made me realize how useless, selfish and counterproductive penalties were. I do know that I never intentionally committed another foul."

You can read the whole interview by clicking the "reminded me of a story" link above.

7 Comments:

At Wed Nov 05, 04:57:00 AM GMT+7, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember Bob Kent as a very strong, tough nose guard from the mid-nineties. Our new freshman nose guard, Owen Fraser reminds me of him. Incidentally, while the YES announcers were ridiculously prejudiced towards Yale, you have to give them credit for praising Fraser on the air for his outstanding line play. Fraser is one of the big reasons why the Columbia defense is so good this year.

 
At Wed Nov 05, 08:09:00 AM GMT+7, Blogger cathar said...

Well, it was, as we heard many times (I stopped counting at 29 and we still had most of the 4th quarter left), it was "Yale On the YES."

It'd be nice, then, to get the point where it's "Columbia On the YES." Next season, I predict, will establish the rightness, the season after will bring the resulting Saturday afternoon telecasts.

But yes, there was a real element of smugness to the announcing. Not a whole lot of obvious ability to call a game interestingly, however.

 
At Wed Nov 05, 07:28:00 PM GMT+7, Anonymous Anonymous said...

well - you could have listened to Jerry Recco and Jake call the game on the radio with the TV volume off...

 
At Wed Nov 05, 09:00:00 PM GMT+7, Blogger cathar said...

Well, yes, I could have done that too.

But it still wouldn't have stopped the incessant display of Yale iconography, now would it? I await our turn as our due because of the team's genuine achievements. (And it's coming.) Not as a mere corrective to some mal-informed sportscasters on the tube.

 
At Wed Nov 05, 09:14:00 PM GMT+7, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kent was a great player but didn't have Fraser's size. As far as YES, once we turn the corner and stop giving games away with poor special teams play and inconsistent offensive performances we will get the respect we all seek. Today's Spec makes clear that NW is pretty steamed about the offense and the special teams. At the risk of being edited once again by Jake, I think that a lot of this comes down to preparation, and Coach Kelton is getting the job done on defense. The problems we are having in the other two areas of the game are not being caused by a lack of talent.

 
At Thu Nov 06, 02:07:00 AM GMT+7, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man, do I miss those blue helmets!!

After watching the last two games on TV, I'll be happy to go back to just reading about the games via your blog, Jake...the 21st century uniforms are pretty atrocious, if you ask me.

 
At Thu Nov 06, 04:52:00 AM GMT+7, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with previous poster re uniforms. Those roadies hardly instill fear in anyone. Put the Lion back on the helmet and lose the light blue pants.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home