The Voice of the People
If you haven't already, make sure you check some of the comments from players' parents in the previous couple of posts.
I know it's hard to hear this when the team is 1-5 and we're going on 46 years without a title, but the talent pool is clearly much higher for this team right now, and I agree the future looks bright.
Key things about this team that long-time suffering fans should remember:
1) No one quit the squad in the pre-season. I can't remember the last time that happened.
2) Despite some rough losses, the team has kept fighting up to end. They always try to at least salvage something.
3) A huge number of players are playing through injuries. I know injuries hit everyone and they can't be used as an excuse too often... but these guys are banged up and doing whatever they can to be effective.
4) Matt Moretto, Alex Gross and Calvin Otis and several other kids are all playing well as freshmen and not letting the defense's overall problems affect their efforts. I think Otis has a shot at starting at left corner this weekend.
5) Nico Gutierrez... 'nuf said.
There is more to talk about here, but the team is going through what most young teams face, tough losses and tougher lessons learned. But I also expect something to happen on the field in the final few weeks that will prove just how many talented players Columbia has right now. I think a lot of people will be surprised by the final scores of the next four games.