Saturday, August 18, 2007

Final Day of Freedom


They're waiting for you boys


What would you do on your last day before reporting to training camp? Would you take it easy, squeeze in one last workout, or just take care of moving back on campus?

Those are some of the options facing the 99 young men about to show up tomorrow for the true start of the 2007 season. Much of what Columbia accomplishes on the field this year will be earned in the next few weeks as the coaches assess the returning talent, teach and re-teach the schemes, and the players show what they're made of.

I will continue with my team-by-team predictions for the Ivy League on Monday with my look at my choice for seventh place: Dartmouth.

Not only did last night's B.C. Lions-Calgary Stampeders game end in a thrilling 45-45 tie, but B.C.'s Tad Crawford '07 and Calgary's Anthony Gargiulo (Dartmouth '05), both ended up tied with one tackle apiece.

It's clear more and more Ivies are focusing on Ohio and Michigan as football recruiting hotbeds. Here's one story about a standout running back who suffered a broken leg in training camp just days after getting a letter from Harvard's Tim Murphy. And this is another piece about another top running back getting attention from the Ivies, Northwestern and MAC schools like Miami of Ohio, etc.

4 Comments:

At Sat Aug 18, 08:40:00 PM GMT+7, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jake, Muskegon is in my home state of MI and not in OH.
Dr.V

 
At Sat Aug 18, 08:51:00 PM GMT+7, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Even from over 5,000 miles away (I'm serving at the US embassy in Kyiv, Ukraine), I'm excited. And I don't think it's irrational exuberance. I'm excited because Coach Wilson and his staff appear to be building, from ground up, the team the old-fashioned, classical way: focus first on developing a good D and a good kicking game, then develop a competent O. A lot of things can go wrong, with critical injuries being the most obvious, but with some breaks, I believe the staff has positioned CU to be able to take advantage of breaks in CU's favor so as to be able to be very competitive.
-Dr.V

 
At Sat Aug 18, 09:24:00 PM GMT+7, Blogger Jake said...

Oops! I'll fix that.

 
At Sat Aug 18, 11:00:00 PM GMT+7, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with the good doctor!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home