Thursday, January 06, 2011

Return Engagements?


University Field, home of the Great Danes


A new article about incoming WR Ryan Flannery says his height is 6”4. I had seen him at 6”3 in most other stories.

Every inch helps.

I’d like to link you all to that article in the Attleboro Sun Chronicle, but that site just won’t load for me… and it almost never does. Someone at that paper needs to pay their ISP bill.



Return to Sender?

If Columbia does indeed play Albany and Sacred Heart at home this fall, I wonder if the Lions will ever make the trip to play those two teams on the road and make it a truly running series.

One of the reasons why I’m skeptical of any Columbia return engagements is the size of both Albany’s and Sacred Heart’s home stadiums.

Albany’s University Field is just a 10,000 seat facility

Sacred Heart’s Campus Field has just 3,500 seats.

To say that both schools are less than proud of their home fields would not be a stretch. It’s VERY HARD to find info about the stadiums even on their football websites.

Most Ivy teams have frowned on playing non-league opponents in such small venues in the past.

But Brown did play Albany at Albany this fall, so there is some tradition being made now.

Dartmouth played Sacred Heart in Hanover this season, and will actually make that trip to their tiny field in Fairfield, Connecticut this coming fall. It will be very interesting to see if the seats are filled for that game on Sept. 24th.

6 Comments:

At Thu Jan 06, 09:20:00 PM GMT+7, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Georgetown has hosted several Ivy teams. Its stadium is one of the smallest/worst in college football.

 
At Thu Jan 06, 10:14:00 PM GMT+7, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Georgetown's stadium is far better than Fordham's. I think that Fordham's stadium isn't even up to the level of a decent high school.

 
At Thu Jan 06, 10:29:00 PM GMT+7, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Columbia is playing Albany and Georgetown in 2011, not Sacred Heart.

 
At Fri Jan 07, 01:08:00 AM GMT+7, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would think that most Ivy ADs would see a big difference between 10,000 at Albany and 3,500 at Sacred Heart. The average game between Ivy conference opponents does not draw more than 10,000 while almost all exceed 3,500.

 
At Sat Jan 08, 11:37:00 AM GMT+7, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The comment about Ivy teams not wanting to play in small venues is ridiculous. My alma mater, the University of Richmond, won the 2008 FCS National Champinship. Our on-campus field, Robins Stadium, seats 8,700. That's because our undegrad enrollment is only 2,800. You mean to tell me that an Ivy team would opt not to play a quality program like Richmond because of our small stadium size? I think not!

 
At Sat Jan 08, 10:16:00 PM GMT+7, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks very much for posting my comment about stadium-size. Although I went to the University of Richmond, I attended dozens of Columbia games in the late 70s and 80s with my Columbia-grad father at the old Baker Field and newer Wien Stadium. I continue to follow the Lions to this day and support them whenever I can. My hope is that someday, the two schools will meet on the gridiron. Go Lions and Go Spiders!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home