Nice Local Addition
The New York Post is reporting that super speedster Bruce Grant from Fordham Prep is coming to Columbia to play slot receiver.
Grant was a running back at Fordham Prep and a prolific weapon for the Catholic High School Football League.
The Post article says Columbia's 40-28 win over the Fordham University Rams helped convince him to join the Lions.
Grant is a bonafide track star. He should join the ever more crowded field of wide receivers at CU and shake it up a bit.
It's been a long time since Columbia had an incoming football recruit from Fordham Prep. The last one was Ashley Hernandez '90, who was also a speedster. Hernandez had limited playing time over his four years at running back.
The biggest Columbia star from Fordham Prep in the modern era was defensive end Mario Biaggi '80. The son of the Bronx Congressman of the same name was the original sack master for the Lions and an All Ivy player in the late 1970's.
You can't overestimate the value a local high school star could bring to Columbia if Grant can make it in the Ivies.
And it's been such a long time since we had a real impact player at an offensive skill position come from a New York City high school.
My unofficial list list of incoming football freshmen now grows to 29.
1. Joey Andrada WR 6-3 190 lbs. Piedmont HS (Piedmont, CA)
2. Marquel Carter QB/DB 6-0 200 lbs. Culver City Senior High School (Culver City, CA)
3. Hunter Coleman TE/OL 6-4 230 lbs. Loyola Prep (Shreveport, LA)
4. Paul Delaney P 6-3 200 lbs. Loyola (Palatine, IL)
5. Duncan Dickerson OL/LS 6-2 245 lbs. Cypress Falls HS (Houston, TX)
6. Lou DiNovo WR 6-0 185 lbs. LaSalle Institute (Albany, NY)
7. Mike DiTommaso CB 6-0 185 lbs. Seton Hall Prep (West Orange, NJ)
8. Brian East LB 6-3 205 lbs. Carmel HS (Carmel, IN)
9. Luke Eddy K 6-2 200 lbs. Worcester Academy (Worcester, MA)
10. Tyler Feely K/P 6-0 155 lbs. Jesuit HS (Tampa, FL)
11. Hamilton Garner TE 6-5 230 lbs. Duluth HS (Duluth, GA)
12. Marcorus Garrett RB 5-10 177 lbs. Pope High School (Marietta, GA)
13. Joe Ghergurovich OL 6-3 245 lbs. Glastonbury HS (Glastonbury, CT)
14. Bruce Grant WR 6-0 175 lbs. Fordham Prep (Bronx, NY)
15. Eddie Hitchcock LB/FB 6-0 200 lbs. Cretin-Derham Hall HS (St. Paul, MN)
16. Tyler Kirkland WR/DB 6-0 180 lbs. Lake Highland Prep (Orlando, FL)
17. Dylan Leonard OL 6-3 281 lbs. Ola High School (McDonough, GA)
18. Brad Losee DE/TE 6-4 235 lbs. Eastview HS (Apple Valley, MN)
19. Griffin Lowry RB 6-0 215 lbs. University HS (St. Louis, MO)
20. Mark McClain WR/S 6-2 195 lbs. Upper Arlington (Upper Arlington, OH)
21. Zack McKown TE/LB 6-3 220 lbs. Fork Union Military Academy (Fork Union, VA)
22. Nick Melka DE 6-2 230 lbs. Benet Academy (Lisle, IL)
23. Jeremy Mingo WR/CB 6-0 180 lbs. Firestone HS (Akron, OH)
24. Chris Mooney TE 6-3 230 lbs. Walton HS (Marietta, GA)
25. Joe Raimondi OL/DL 6-4 255 lbs. Hampton HS (Allison Park, PA)
26. Chris Rapka QB 6-3 200 lbs. Cardinal Gibbons HS (Ft. Lauderdale, FL)
27. Maurice Rothschild CB 5-10 165 lbs. Warren Eastern HS (New Orleans, LA)
28. James Valerias WR 6-1 185 lbs. Gonzaga College HS (Washington, DC)
29. Sam Williams RB 5-10 175 lbs. Baylor HS (Chattanooga, TN)