Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Summer Reading


Bill Steinman using the ancient tool known as a typewriter (CREDIT: Columbia College Today)

There's little I like better than looking at old photos of Baker Field and poring over a bunch of old statistics and player profiles from my big collecion of Columbia Football media guides.

A lot of the credit for that good reading material goes to former Sports Information Director Bill Steinman, who now is officially retired but still helps out as a consultant. I spoke to Mr. Steinman one or two times in my undergrad years, and when I saw him recently at the spring game, I honestly think he remembered me! Well, it helps to have a good memory in that line of work, and any Columbia athlete from 1970 on can attest to Steinman's ability to remember lots of little details about their lives, (in a good way I mean).

Todd Kennedy has been manning the media guide project for most of the last several years, and he deserves a lot of the credit too.

If you're new to Columbia football, there's little you'll still be in the dark about if you grab one of the guides and take the time to go through it over an hour or two. I you're a veteran, well it's a great way to jog some good memories.

The good news is you can still buy a 2006 guide, (sure to be a collector's item as it is the first of the Norries Wilson era), on the GoColumbiaLions.com web site. Again, for the newcomers, it's a smart purchase.


Let's Go Already!


Champing at the Bit, (Part 1)

(Yes, the correct term is "champing," not "chomping." This was drilled into me years ago in journalism school, and while I may know the "right" answer, I just never thought it would be worth it to correct people about it. However, I hate when people "correct" me. Sheesh... there's nothing worse than a lot of effort and hurt feelings over something so unimportant).

I can't name any names, but I have been getting a bevvy of great emails from lots of players who tell me they are extremely excited about the season and wish camp were starting already. Is this unique to Columbia for this season? Probably not entirely, but you just can't be connected to this football program without realizing there's something special about this group of players and coaches. This is a much more encouraging atmosphere than I can ever remember, and that includes the months leading up to the 8-2 1996 season. We are either on the verge of great things or a big let down... but if I were in Vegas right now with a choice to bet on a 7-3 season or a 3-7 record, it would be no contest. This is a very good team right now, you can double down on that.

7 Comments:

At Tue Jun 19, 08:25:00 AM GMT+7, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We're all "champing at the bit" to see this season get underway, not too many days till summer practice starts. You a fan of the Stream?

 
At Tue Jun 19, 10:10:00 AM GMT+7, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bill Steinman is great. I loved his Lines on Lions newsletters that were mailed to Varsity C club members, many of which I still possess. The annual recruit issue was always my favorite.

Instead of champing, I vote for tamping, as in tamping down the excitement. This is a team that lost to Dartmouth at home last year and whose quarterback is trying to come back from a serious injury. The schedule is tougher than last year. Yes, the enthusiasm from the players is encouraging, but 7-3 is pie in the sky. Once this team consistently beats the upper division Ivy teams we can start celebrating, not before.

 
At Tue Jun 19, 01:24:00 PM GMT+7, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Celebration is for the end of the season, but amateur prognostication is why God made spring and summer. IMHP: if Hormann is OK, decent likelihood for a 7-3 or 6-4. With breaks going our way, a possibly contender for all the marbles. With breaks going against us, a 5-5. If Hormann is not OK, all bets off in terms of any predictability.
-Dr.V

 
At Tue Jun 19, 01:25:00 PM GMT+7, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I meant to say "IMHO"
-Dr.V

 
At Tue Jun 19, 07:38:00 PM GMT+7, Blogger DOC said...

They played Dartmouth even until the 4th quarter when they finally exhausted the defense by their inability to move the ball. They played Yale fairly evenly until the 3rd quarter on the road. Both games were winable so 5-5 could become 7-3
with a few breaks.

 
At Tue Jun 19, 08:36:00 PM GMT+7, Blogger Jake said...

The team and the fans have to be encouraged by our chances. I agree this season's schedule is harder and you have to remember we stayed almost completely injury free last season. But enthusiasm is always good.

 
At Thu Jun 21, 02:19:00 AM GMT+7, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We played our worst game against a beatable Dartmouth team. We played a good game against eventual league co-champ Princeton. We played great games against a highly touted Cornell team and a Brown team with the best defensive player in the Ivies. I think we have the makings for a great season.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home