Friday, October 29, 2010

Week 7 Picks



Columbia’s game notes for Saturday’s game at Yale have now been released.

The headline is Alex Gross has been moved to middle linebacker.

This news come on the same day that we learn that Alex has been named one of Sixteen National Football Foundation National Scholar-Athletes.

Congratulations Alex!


Now back to the continuing saga of my game picks overall and against the spread.

I had a strong week last week, and let’s go to the proof:



Lafayette +8 at Fordham

Jake Said: “The Leopards… will cover the spread, but Fordham should eke out the win.”

Result: Fordham eked out a 14-10 win. 1-0 overall, 1-0 Against the Spread.


Cornell +19 at Brown


Jake Said: “I think the Bears win by 20 or 21.”

Result: A late Cornell TD helped the Big Red cover the spread. 2-0 overall, 1-1 ATS.


Harvard -10 at Princeton

Jake Said: “The Crimson should bounce back and cover the spread here.”

Result: Harvard won by 17. 3-0 overall, 2-1 ATS.


Penn -3 at Yale

Jake Said: “Take Penn and give the points before the bookies come to their senses.

Result: Penn won by seven. 4-0 overall, 3-1 ATS.


So now I am 22-10 overall and 21-11 ATS through six weeks.


On to this week…


Princeton -1 at Cornell

The loser is facing a very likely 0-7 season in the league. I have to go with the home team here and predict a win for the Big Red.


Harvard -1 ½ at Dartmouth

A very tough game to pick, but I think Harvard is really gearing up for a strong stretch run. The Crimson win and cover.


Brown +7 ½ at Penn

Can the Bears beat or keep it close against the Quakers without their best QB? I don’t think so. Penn should cover.

12 Comments:

At Fri Oct 29, 11:50:00 AM GMT+7, Blogger Gym Ratt said...

I was 3-1 ATS last week, 29-7 ATS so far this season. I thought the Lions would win last week and that kept me from a perfect Saturday.

This is a very tough week to predict and the spreads indicate that.

I'd love to see DC beat Harvard but my money is on the Crimson -1 1/2.


Cornell and Princeton is a toss--I'm going with Big Red +1.

I think Brown will win over Penn but I don't like the spread. I'm taking Penn + 7 1/2.

Finally I don't like the way the Lion's defensive line has been playing and I think Yale will have their way with them. I'm taking the Bulldawgs -2.

Good luck to all.

 
At Fri Oct 29, 11:56:00 AM GMT+7, Blogger Gym Ratt said...

Correction on my prediction.

Penn is the favorite and I'm taking them -7 1/2 over Brown

 
At Fri Oct 29, 05:13:00 PM GMT+7, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some things in football are not obvious to the casual fan. The New Orleans Saints won the Super Bowl last year with a defense ranked 25th in the NFL. They also ranked second in takeaways. This year, the takeaway totals are down and NO is having less success. I'd like to see the Lions get more takeaways on defense and be more opportunistic on offense. That formula works in the NFL. It's still a team game no matter how the line plays.

 
At Fri Oct 29, 09:31:00 PM GMT+7, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gym Ratt,

Two weeks ago, when you started posting your predictions, you claimed that your previously unpublicized picks had achieved a remarkable record season-to-date of 23-3. That week, you were 2-4 ATS, but the following week, you claimed to be 26-6. That's not good math.

 
At Fri Oct 29, 11:03:00 PM GMT+7, Blogger Gym Ratt said...

Anonymous:

Thanks for pointing out my error.
I should have written that I was 24-2. Thanks for pointing that out.

 
At Sat Oct 30, 01:05:00 AM GMT+7, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know that Jake doesn't like negativity on this board but I wonder if the loss of Aaron Kelton as our defensive coordinator is at the heart of our inability to stop the same plays over and over again.

 
At Sat Oct 30, 02:02:00 AM GMT+7, Anonymous Anonymous said...

previous said: "I know that Jake doesn't like negativity on this board but I wonder if the loss of Aaron Kelton as our defensive coordinator is at the heart of our inability to stop the same plays over and over again."

Interesting observation. Adjusting during a game definitely has been limited under the new boss. To be fare, I think may of the trends started last year. One thing that is standing out is what appaers to be a willingness to make significant changes. I am not sure if that is good or bad?

 
At Sat Oct 30, 02:20:00 AM GMT+7, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gym Ratt,

You are mistaken. You initially claimed to be 23-3, then posted picks which achieved a record of 2-4. Thus, you would then have been 25-7 after one week of public picks. Adding last week's record of 3-1 would make you 28-8, assuming of course that your initial unverifiable claim of 23-3 had substance.

 
At Sat Oct 30, 02:53:00 AM GMT+7, Blogger dabull said...

I know I asked this a couple weeks ago, but why didn't we publish media guides this year? Is it purely monetary?

 
At Sat Oct 30, 03:29:00 AM GMT+7, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How can a defense which looked so good for the first four games have fallen down so markedly during the last two games? And how can an offense which seemd so unstoppable in our three wins seem so ordinary in our last two games? I don't believe that Dartmouth is far superior to the three teams we have beaten. So something has happened which relates in my opinion to good scouting by our last thwo opponents combined with a stagnant and inflexible game plan by our coordinators before those games, compounded by a failure to make proper adjustments during the game. Case in point: the little sidleine patterns run by Dartmouth at will.

 
At Sat Oct 30, 11:21:00 AM GMT+7, Blogger Gym Ratt said...

Anonymous:

Thank you for your concern over my welfare. I checked my verifiable results on the ISB and they are correct--29-7.

Now I hope you can sleep easy and find better things to do with your time.

CHOW!

 
At Sun Oct 31, 10:06:00 AM GMT+7, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gym Ratt,

Your week five picks were:

Fordham +7 vs Yale (cover)
Columbia +6.5 vs Penn (lose)
Holy Cross +4.5 vs Dartmouth (lose)
Colgate -15.5 vs Cornell (cover)
Brown -14 vs Princeton (lose)
Harvard -11.5 vs Lehigh (lose)

That's 2-4, not the 3-3 that you are using in your record.

Not to quibble, but it's "ciao," not "chow."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home